Weekend Wonders, 9/8/13
I realize I am on the verge of breaking the norm of not blogging
ubiquitously, but this weekend brought many happy experiences I would
like to share.
Friday evening, I baked cookies with my dear friends from freshman
year, Monica, Julia, and Annie. Shoutout to Kelli for providing the
recipe. We made chocolate chip cookie-covered Oreos. Sinfully delicious.
It was a treat, both literal and metaphorical, to throw butter across
the kitchen to soften it; to mix dry ingredients while trying to keep
them from spilling everywhere; to knead the dough together to cover the
Oreos; to wait anxiously and check the oven seemingly every 30 seconds
to see if our creations were ready for consumption (I know that’s bad
for the baked goods, but we were already experiencing sugar rush); and
to laugh amid all of it. These girls kept me sane freshman year,
listening to and adding gripes/support and helping me chin up. We don’t
see each other as often due to different schedules and living
arrangements, but whenever we spend time together, it’s always a blast.
Saturday morning I miraculously awoke from my sugar coma at 8 am to
embark on a new adventure: SUPing, also known as stand up paddle
boarding. I had seen paddlers in the Potomac while taking the bus back
to campus earlier in the week, and I decided I needed to experience it
for myself. Those of you that have known me for a while know that I am
generally averse to spending time outdoors, as the outdoors bring heat,
cold, bugs, arachnids (actually to include all the animals I fear, let’s
just go with arthropods), rain, and/or humidity. I am a heat wimp,
experience severe entomophobia (fear of arthropods), and resemble Mufasa
when I am in humid conditions for too long. But that hour out on the
water was pure bliss. Once I got the hang of it, I paddled over to a
mini-island where I saw a turtle basking in the sun and birds of some
sort (brown and resembled cranes?) socializing. I also saw 2 helicopters
fly directly over my head, the closest I’ve ever been to those
contraptions. And paddling toward the Key Bridge through the glistening
Potomac in the morning sun was a sight. I became wobbly whenever I got
too close to other boaters/their currents, but I am proud to say I did
not fall in. I daresay SUPing is my new dance; it brings balance and
joy. Dear Santa, please bring me a paddle board and paddle in a few
months.
This morning I shopped locally at the Dupont Farmer’s Market. While
not the same as my hometown Chattanooga Market, it brought me what I
needed: peaches, apple cider, and a Popsicle. Every Market I visit, I’m
inspired by those who work on farms and grow/produce their own
foodstuffs. There’s a sense of satisfaction for me that comes with
knowing I helped someone in the area earn a living and enjoyed a fresh
local product while doing so. I’m sure I would see some of the same
faces each week if I lived here year-round; I know I do at the
Chattanooga Market. This also makes me happy because familiarity, for
me, breeds warmth. I do wish strawberries were in season 24/7/365, but
I’ve discovered this summer that accepting the seasons and what’s in
season at a given time can also bring peace. Unless what’s in season is
beets, in which case, count me out.
Now to prepare for my first full week of classes. Labor Day has made
for a slower start to the semester, and honestly, the thought of going
to class on a Monday is somewhat of an enigma plus a letdown. But I know
I’m doing what I need to do so I can do the things I want to do later.
And it’s enriching experiences like those above that help keep me going.
No comments:
Post a Comment