Friday, October 25, 2013

Posts from Yore: Grasping Fruit

Grasping the Fruit, 10/18/13

This week has been simultaneously a whirling dervish and a frozen hourglass. Getting back to college life after a few days of respite with my family was a happysad experience (spoiler alert: I cried when they left. Yes, I’m a sap. No, I’m not embarrassed about it anymore. My sappiness has been seen in public too many times for me to spend the energy being embarrassed anymore), but I’ve been on some cool adventures this past week.
Last Friday, the fam and I went to the Newseum. My mom had been before, but my dad and I were Newseum neophytes. Admission is paid, which is how we could get in despite the shutdown. We could have arrived at opening and stayed until closing and STILL not have seen all the exhibits. We saw the 9/11 tower/headlines gallery; Tim Russert’s office; a chunk of the Berlin Wall; and an in-depth on the Kennedy assassination, among other things. My favorites were the Civil Rights segment, since it related to my Cold War History Class, and the blurbs on some of the First Dogs. The Spy Museum is still my favorite paid museum (Smithsonian American History is my favorite free one), but I’m glad we got to see this one.

The next day we went to President Lincoln’s cottage, precursor to Camp David. Only 3 miles from the Capitol and the White House, this attraction is a hidden gem within the District. Lincoln would commute many a summer night to the Cottage to cherish the quiet and escape the constant hubbub of the White House. In fact, he spent about 1/4 of his presidency here, brainstorming and writing the Emancipation Proclamation among other feats. The grounds also house a veterans’ retirement home, as they did when the Lincolns were here. The scene reminded me a bit of Lookout Mountain: somewhat secluded, vista views, and cozy cottages. Of course, with the leaves still on the trees, the view of the city was somewhat blocked. But we could see enough to appreciate the beauty. If you’re in DC and haven’t been here, I highly recommend fitting it into your itinerary.

This past Wednesday, I was fortunate to hear author Malcolm Gladwell speak. I heard him in Chattanooga about 3 years ago, when he discussed a point strikingly similar to the one of his new book David and Goliath: do not underestimate the underdog, for he/she can surprise you. I’m not too far in my (signed) copy of this book, but what I have read is thought-provoking and insightful. If you haven’t read any of his books, you should. Hands down. His genre of expertise is difficult to pinpoint, but everything he writes is brilliant. And his writing style is perfect. If I could write half as well as he does, I’d be a happy camper.

With the ink annotations all over my planner, I probably won’t be going on lots of similar adventures for a while. School is what will earn me a spot in law school and eventually a job, not my wanderings around the District. But speaking of law school, those tours are coming up soon. I will certainly be sharing stories. Whether you will be interested in reading them is another question, but if you know me, you know that I have a compulsion to be over-prepared way ahead of time. So here’s to the adventure of solidifying my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment