I'm going to enjoy my senior year.
No, I am not going to quit going to class, blow off homework, or do anything that would undo all that I have worked for the past 3 years. However, the realization that I have only one year left is sobering. I'm going to make a point to spend time on campus, not in my living quarters. Since I'll be in a house off-campus, I know this will be a challenge, at least in the beginning. However, in the past couple of weeks during which spring weather has started creeping out of the meteorological woodwork, I've enjoyed spending more time out and about, waving hello to friends, immersing myself in all that Georgetown has to offer. Being here, meeting the people I've met, learning all that I've learned in and out of the classroom, the experiences I have gained, has been a great blessing. It didn't feel that way all the time, but even the tearful times taught me about myself, my strength, and the power of hope and faith. Thus, in their own way, they are a blessing.
I know one day in particular next year will be a true delight. 5 months and 10 days from today, I will be having lunch with Sonia Sotomayor. Sadly not a one-on-one lunch, because that would be insanely cool, but this is major progress. I had a freakout when I bought my ticket today. Yes, I did just hear her speak 2 days ago. But each time I have seen her speak, I have taken away a piece of advice (or several) I had never heard before, and it was as if she were speaking directly to me. "Never let fear stop you." "Be proud of being part of more than one world." "Be grateful to those who help you." Every time I've seen her, I've needed to hear exactly what she's said. And she speaks with such humility, even though she has all the ethos in the world. The word "Wow" is what comes to mind when I think of her. A blessing attached to the first one.
Tomorrow is the American Studies field trip to the Surratt home, which played a significant role in the Lincoln assassination/conspiracy. After watching The Conspirator and taking my tour 'back in time' with Ford's Theatre to the day of the assassination, I have become more interested in the story. Not in a creepy way, promise; in a historically curious way. Also, I love my major and the people in it, students and faculty. Yet another incorporated life blessing. The list will grow longer as I continue to blog and reflect.
PS Allow me to share my favorite piece of spring music with some bonus spring scenery in Wales. Happy happy happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment