As the title suggests, I've been praying a lot more than I once did. Making 2014 my 'Year of Gratitude,' I can't limit myself to this earthly realm. If it were not for a Creator, whatever form He/She may take and whatever role He/She may have played, where would I be today? Not a question I can answer, but one I ponder often. I share this not to alienate anyone but to take pride in my own beliefs. Here's how my main prayer unfolds. Any comments/suggestions welcome.
Part 1: specific gratitude. Express thanks for all of the positive things that happened that day. Even if my overall mindset is "Thank you for getting me through today." Even if the positive things were the smaller things, like lovely weather, a comforting cup of tea, or a chance encounter with someone I hadn't seen in a while. On rough days, it's the little things that keep me going. On good days, they each contribute to the goodness. And each day will never be exactly like another day, no matter how spectacular or how miserable. Point being: I savor the small joys.
Part 2: general gratitude. I try to include as many of the blessings I take for granted day-in-day-out as possible. Never worrying about being fed, watered, clothed, or sheltered. Having a family that loves me and cares extensively about my well-being. Being surrounded by so many lovely friends, in different circles, different cities, different ages, different experiences, with different positive contributions to my life. Being able to spend seven years at GPS and reap all the benefits it has offered and continues to offer me. Coming back to Georgetown, however unconventionally. Enjoying gifts of beauty, dance, friendship, compassion, empathy, good books, good movies, good music, good food. Inevitably I leave out a myriad of blessings, probably because I am so accustomed to them that I don't give them enough thought. But I really do try to include as many as I can. As I once read, What if we woke up only to the things for which we had thanked God the previous day?
Part 3: prayer requests. If I have seen/heard of a prayer request of someone else's, I ask for those first. The same goes for people I know are going through a rough time, even if they haven't asked for prayers. Some people feel odd making such a request. I put myself in that category. But I practice being mindful of others, a muscle that can always use strengthening. Then I ask that all my traveling friends to be kept safe on their adventures (this one has been especially important this year, since many of my college-age friends either are or have been abroad). That my family stay protected and healthy. That all of my friends know how much they mean to me and in exactly what way they enrich my life, even and especially when I don't tell them often enough myself. That I continue to push myself and succeed, not settle. And finally, that I may stay on the life path meant for me, even if I don't know what it is, even if it isn't smooth 100% of the time. This part is probably the trickiest for me, but I have become better at trying to control the uncontrollable. Usually it brings nothing but frustration and unhappiness. Sometimes prayers overlap in irreconcilable ways. My worrying, however fervent, about whether that circumstance will arise will not change the outcome.
My prayer ritual sounds much longer and more complicated than it actually is. Plus, I have much to be thankful for. Mini-prayers come at moments when I find it especially difficult to be tolerant, patient, hopeful, loving, charitable, forgiving, determined, any of the positive qualities we deem virtuous. We all have lapses. It's the recognition of them and the active quest to limit them that give our life journeys meaning.
Finally, here is a prayer-like song I have discovered in my new-found love of Celtic music. Seriously, Riverdance Revival, anyone?
No comments:
Post a Comment